Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A few random things...

1.  I got a part time job. It is in retail, which I wasn't sure I could handle, but I just wanted to do something that got me out of the house. As it turns out, I'm totally loving it.

2.  Tobin became an official toddler at nine and a half months old.
This is all fine and good, if I'm being honest, there are things that I love about infancy, but it really isn't my favorite stage. I just had a moment this morning when I realized that I will never have an infant again. My infant/baby time is completely over. I'm okay with it, I'm certainly not wanting any more kids, but it is weird to think about. He grew out of infancy way to fast. I feel like I was supposed to have more time. He's been up surfing and climbing on furniture since he was 6 months old, and he started trying to take steps around seven and a half months old, and now, at ten months, he is full on just walking around. Too fast, boy!

3.  I bought a sweet Batman watch and I can't find a photo of it online anywhere and I'm feeling too lazy to take a photo of it right now. You'll have to trust me. It was a good find.

4.  We're getting Mikaila an iPhone for Christmas (she doesn't read this so it is okay to write about it here). She's going to poop her pants. I can't wait. After years of waiting, she has definitely accepted that we are just not going to get her one, and that she will have to get it on her own when she can get her own phone plan. I seriously can't wait for her to open it. There is a good chance that she will either cry, or faint.

5.  This leads me to one of the many downsides to the over indulgence that rules parenting these days. I almost feel sorry for parents who cave to their children's every whim, or rush to make sure that their child has the next hot thing so that they can be better than everyone else - because that really is all it is about. You can hate me for saying it, but it is true.
Not only do you teach them that their value is in what they have, but you never get to experience the sheer joy of giving a gift to a child who has waited so long that they have finally accept that it isn't going to happen, just to find that one thing on their birthday, or Christmas. The joy that they get from opening it after waiting, and waiting, and hoping, and waiting is so fun to watch. You are totally robbing yourself, seriously.

That's about all I have for today. My to do list is calling, and I've been doing my best to ignore it all morning. I guess now that the kids are all sleeping I should get moving.

Happy Tuesday, folks!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the job! And on loving it. That is so, so important. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was definitely a good move for me. : )

      Delete