Friday, December 28, 2012

I spent Christmas Day (mostly) by myself this year.

This is how we wind up at this place where I find myself so often when it comes to the blog lately... The things I'm supposed to say...

I'm supposed to tell you that spending Christmas without my family here was the most devastating and awful experience one could have.
In fact, I'm supposed to write a gut-wrenching, ten-thousand-word lament on the subject.
I'm also supposed to think about how insensitive it would be okay with not having my family around when "so many others don't have family to spend the holidays with, or have family members they can't see".

I'm supposed to tell you that packing my family up and watching them drive off Christmas morning without me was one of the hardest things ever!

I'm supposed to tell you that New Year's Eve just won't be the same because they won't be home yet.

I'm supposed to tell you that Tobin had his first experience in the snow and my life with never be the same because I missed a first.

I'm supposed to tell you that the house is just too quiet without everyone here and I just don't know what to do with myself having no one around to take care of.

I'm not going to tell you any of those things.

The reality is...

Spending Christmas Day by myself was glorious!
I couldn't wait to get them out the door.
There will be no lament.
And while I do feel for those who have no choice but to be alone, or whose family members can't be with them for one reason for another, that is not my life experience so I will take a moment to revel in my aloneness, thanks.
If they were to set foot through that front door at any moment before January 1, 2013 I would, in all likelihood, spontaneously combust.
And while I would like to have seen Tobin play in the snow for the first time, I really feel like I have a fighting chance at living through missing "a first".
The silence in the house is almost more than I can bear, but not because I wish there was the noise of a full house happening. It is because it seems too good to be true, and I know that it has to end.
I also happen to thank the lord above for every moment that I have had not having to take care of anyone (but me).

This week has been awesome, and if I can be so bold as to be completely honest... I'd give anything to push it out one more.

In other news...
I went to the Verizon store today to upgrade The Teenager's phone. The white iPhone 5 is on it's way. I pick it up Monday, in plenty of time to have it wrapped and waiting for her when she gets home New Year's Day. I cannot wait! She is going to pass out. Seriously!
To back up a bit, we couldn't upgrade the phone until yesterday, so while The Teenager got a few other things for Christmas, I had to come up with a song and dance about not ordering her "main gift" (which I'm pretty sure that she things is a new iPod touch) in time, and that it wasn't going to get here before Christmas. I, of course, apologized profusely and "felt so bad!"
BAAHAHA! Little does she know... Ha!
I can't wait until Tuesday.

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday, and that you all have a safe and wonderful New Year celebration, however you choose to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment